Naples, with 1 milion inhabitants and an area of 45 square miles, is the third largest city in Italy after Rome and Milan. The city centre, the largest in Europe, was named one of the Unesco World Heritage Sites in 1995 for its important historical background, particularly during the Renaissance and Enlightenment, and for its abundance of churches, monuments and buildings.
When you think of Naples, the first thing that probably comes to mind is its famous pizza, invented here, legend holds, by the Neapolitan pizzaiolo Raffaele Esposito in 1889 in honor of a visit by the Queen Margherita. Three different pizzas were presented to the queen, and she chose the one topped with the three colours of the Italian flag, (tomato red, mozzarella white, and basil green). Thus was born one of the most emblematic Italian dishes, beloved worldwide.
- 2 hour visit of the Capodimonte archeological museum, where most of the treasures found in Pompeii are conserved alongside Roman and Egyptian artifacts.
- Piazza del Gesù Nuovo to visit the church and monastic complex of St. Claire, heavily bombed during the Second World War and well-known for its "cloister", with its 64 octagonal pillars and brilliant polychrome tiles designed by Vaccaro.
- The Church of San Severo and the "Veiled Christ", the masterpiece by Italian sculptor Giuseppe Sanmartino
- Lunch break (we suggest pizza!)
- A short sroll through Piazza del Plebiscito, the Royal Palace (once the private residence of Charles III of Bourbon), and the Maschio Angioino, built to be a private residence and later turned into a fortress to defend the the port of Naples.
- Sightseeing along Via Caracciolo and the "cartolina" located on one of the hills of Naples, Posillipo, with a breathtaking view of the entire city, the bay, and Mount Vesuvius.
As an additional service, we can supply a personal private guide for the entire day. We strongly recommend visiting Naples with a local guide who can share with you the fascinating history and culture of this splendid city.
You can select one or more of the following excursions:
* Required Fields are in bold